One of the best things about living in Southern California is that our seasons are essentially seasonless. Still, in Ventura, we definitely experience significant temperature drops and spikes, in addition to torrential rains (which is great for our green hills, but not so great for our cars.)
Seasonal Maintenance Takes Care of the Whole Car
It’s a good idea to think of your car as an organism—just like you do certain things to get ready for the winter, spring and summer (for example, trading your heavy clothes for lighter layers, stocking up on vitamins, taking allergy medicine…etc) your car needs ongoing attention, too.
Seasonal maintenance is important. As we transition into the hot summer months, there are a few things you’ll want to change and check to make sure your car is ready for the sun (we wrote a blog about it you can read here.)
The more you take care of your car, the longer it will last—plain and simple. Come on in, and we’ll set you up with a regular seasonal maintenance plan!
How to Take Care of Your Car in the Heat
It’s getting hot! Seasonal changes affect your car (you can read more about that here) and California’s summer heat can be especially hard on your vehicle if you aren’t prepared. Here are a few things you need to do, especially as we approach May:
- Park in the shade. This one is obvious—sunlight can make your dashboard dry and crack. If you can, roll the windows down a few inches to equalize the air pressure.
- Protect your windshield. Buy a sun protector to keep your car cool to block unnecessary sunlight.
- Install seat covers to keep leather seats protected and cool to the touch.
- Wash and dry your car often. The sun will fade and crack the paint. If you wash it frequently, you’ll remove the dirt particles that scratch and age your car’s finish.
- Check your tire pressure. You don’t want to face an unexpected blowout because of the hot pavement and under-inflated tires.
- Check your battery. High temperatures will wear out your battery quickly; it’s always a good idea to bring it in so we can make sure you’re all set for the summer. 🙂